In Moy the earliest surviving account of participation in GAA affairs is a report of a game played at Bradery Park, Moy, on Sunday 5th May 1907 against a team from Raiskmore. Several hundred spectators, including a large number from the Armagh and Dungannon areas, were present to witness a rousing game which Moy won by 1-5 to 1-2. The visitors were afterwards entertained by members of the Moy club in the AOH hall. By the beginning of 1908, a Moy Phelim Roe Club with 38 registered members had been affiliated to the County Board by their secretary P. Tohall and the team took part in an East Tyrone league along with Dungannon, Cookstown, Coalisland, Aughnacloy and Pomeroy.
The club existed until the GAA collapsed completely in East Tyrone at the end of 1910 but later participated during the revival and played under the Moy Tίr na n’Óg name in the 1913 East Tyrone League Championship against Dungannon Craobh Rua, Dungannon Eίre Óg, Coalisland Fianna and Pomeroy Hibernians.
Indeed the Tίr na nÓg team won this competition in 1914 by beating na Fianna in the final on the 13 April by 1-5 to 0-4 but forfeited their chance to play Fintona Davitts in the Tyrone county final after a successful appeal by the losers.
The Tίr na n’Óg club participated almost continuously since that time except for a short period in 1970 when it amalgamated with the local Benburb team to form a Clonfeacle parish team.
The club won the SFC in 1920, JFC in 1953 and 1979, IFC in 1982. The juniors beat Kildress in the 1953 League Final, (a game which was not played until 7th March 1954) and won the East Tyrone Junior League in 1972. Along with the East Tyrone Intermediate League in 1973 we won the Feis Shield in 1964, were finalists in the SF championship in 1961 and were runners up in the All Co. League Div. 1 in 1983. Despite finishing in the top four on a number of occasions during the eighties and early nineties the Div. 1 All County League title always evaded the Tίr na n’Óg team. Some consolation, however was gained by securing the Frank O’Neill cup in 1988 and the McElduff Top Four Trophy in 1991.
The inevitable slide began after that, with many of the older players retiring and few of the younger ones quite ready for the task ahead so in 1996 we played in Div. 2 for the first time in 14 years. Almost immediately, the younger players were to have their say and on St. Patrick’s Day 1996 we again put our names to the McElduff cup which had now been set up as the trophy for the Div. 2 pre-season competition. A tremendous year ensued but Killyclogher were to be the ‘Achilles heel’ and we fell to them in both the championship and the league. As a result we failed to gain promotion to the senior ranks. This was unbearable for those last remaining stalwarts who had answered the “just one more year” plea, and more retirements followed.
On the under-age scene we were beaten by Omagh in the u-16 Championship in 1956 and won the u-16 League Final in 1972. The minors won the County League Final in 1947 and won the Clarke cup in 1957 and 1958. We were also runners up in the County Championship Final against Ceapach N. Mhuire in 1981. 1992 brought League and Championship grade 3 County titles for the u16s, and in the same year the minors won the All County Grade 3 championship. These feats were repeated at the higher grade 2 levels by both our u16 and minor teams in 1994. In 1997 the minors won the All County Grade 3 League and Championship double, yet again. In 1999 the minors went on to win the Grade 2 Championship, and in 2000, the Juveniles picked up the Grade 3 League and Championship.